Monday, January 4, 2016

29 Weeks (and The Glucose Test from Hades)

It's been a busy few weeks with Christmas, New Years, family visiting, and Samuel and I coming down with an icky case of bronchitis. Things might be calming down now?

We're well into the third trimester now, which is exciting! My heartburn and constipation have remained steady, and I've gotten the occasional leg cramp, but other than that things seem to be going well. :-)

I had blood work done at my appointment 2 weeks ago along with my glucose test and getting the flu shot and tDap. It was pretty much the worst thing ever. Not because I can't handle a few needles and an orange soda, either.

It really all started off fine. Other than the fact that I gained an inordinate amount of weight (7 pounds in a month. Yikes. Blaming that on a baby growth spurt!), all of my other stats looked good and baby was measuring right on par. I chugged my sweet drink and got my two shots like a champ. No one likes those things, but they're really not so bad. I waited around for my hour to let the drink digest and actually enjoyed getting to sit peacefully and read a bit of Jane Austen without a kid or cat crawling into my lap.

Then it came time for the blood work. The normal phlebotomist was RIGHT THERE, which was the kicker for this whole ordeal, but she had some type of girl in training helping her (I have no clue what her title was - she came in to see me last time with the nurse practitioner, so maybe she's training for that?) so she could process her lab stuff, and so she let her draw my blood since, as the training girl said, "I have big juicy veins." Thanks.

So she sticks me, and it hurts worse that normal but I"m like whatever. Then she takes it out and sticks me again. And starts trying to draw blood. Then she says to the normal lady, "I'm not getting anything. Is this normal?" Meanwhile I'm closing my eyes and clenching my jaw and trying not to punch her in the face with my free hand...

The normal lady turns around and says, "Whoa! Give me that! It's gonna blow!"

THAT makes me feel good.

(Eric explained to me later that she meant the needle went all the way through my vein, and blood was in fact leaking out both sides. Yikes.)

So she gets the needle out and puts a tourniquet on my arm - once again, making me feel GREAT here, people - and then puts some ice, etc. on it.

5 minutes later, they seem to be okay with everything, but then they're like, "Oh, we didn't get any blood, so we are going to have to do your other arm."

The normal lady sticks me and I barely feel it, thank goodness. All the while my right arm still feels like it's about to fall off. She gets what she needs and I start getting ready to go, and then I realize that I feel funny. Like, really funny. And, sure enough, I passed out. Well, pretty much. I was still conscious the whole time I think, but I couldn't see or hear anything really...

Anyway, I came to and got some water (I hadn't had any for more than an hour because of the glucose test) and they let me sit there for a while until my strength came back. 15 minutes later I was essentially back to normal, so I was able to go home and have some lunch and rest before running my errands and such the rest of the day.

What REALLY killed me was that, while I was regaining my composure, the training girl had the nerve to say, "that's why we don't usually like people to get the flu shot on the same day they do blook work." Um, seriously???

So, yeah,  she's not on my list of favorite people. Haha.

The good news is, I don't have diabetes, no where close to it. I am slightly anemic, and do still have a nice bruise on my arm 2 weeks later. Once I get my pictures uploaded, I'll add that to the post. It was about as bad if not worse than when I had my blood taken during labor last time and then had the blood pressure cuff put over it.

Anyway, that story was longer than I meant it to be.

A few other quick notes:
We pretty much have what we need for baby I think. We got a new monitor for Christmas, along with a new diaper back and a baby carrier. There's a few small things we still need to get and a LOT that needs to be set up, but at least we are pretty good stuff wise. :-)

Baby should be around 15-16" long now and 2.5-3 pounds!

I've gained a ridiculous 22-23 pounds. I still think a lot of it is muscle. Even though I'm carrying higher, I'm not particularly bigger than last time.

I think I'm about done running, though I may change my mind. The muscle I pulled during the 5K keeps getting irritated any time I try, or at least it did last week and the week before. Lesson learned about running too fast.

I've done a lot of cycling and stair-mastering and elliptical-ing though, along with weight lifting, so I think I should be able to maintain a pretty good fitness level without it. It's probably better for my bladder anyway.

We still haven't found a name we love, though there is a name that I think we are going to end up with. I don't see Eric enough these days to really talk about it. We still have a couple of months though. :-)

I've been sleeping pretty well, but it is getting harder to turn over at night, etc. I'm starting to look forward to laying on my belly again!

I haven't had any major cravings or aversions lately, just drinking a lot of milk to balance out my heartburn. Haha. I am hungry a LOT, so I'm trying really hard to eat more fruits and veggies when my stomach is growling now that Christmas is over. No more 7 pound gains! (To be fair, I remember a month where I gained 6-7 with Samuel too about the same time, so it really was probably just a growth spurt).

Anyway, this might be my longest post ever! Samuel is about to get up from nap, so I better sign off. :-) Just a few more weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment